Dialogue implies sincere and genuine communication among persons, among groups, among cultures and among peoples
- Dialogue requires silence as well as words
- We need silence to come to our perception of the truth and to welcome that of others with honesty and openness
- This leads us as companions to grow together in truth.
Dialogue is not
- a succession of monologues - each ignoring the other
- mere superficial conversation, with no personal involvement and no openness to change an opinion
- debate: holding to one's own ideas - no encounter, transformation or growth
- sermon/lesson/indoctrination/brainwashing - one-way exchange implying the other has nothing to say or give, no voice
- manipulation: I persuade the other to my viewpoint, even in the nicest possible way.